The overriding goal of AMS is to support a national defense that will protect the security of the United States.
AMS represents the interests of members of the Uniformed Services in Congress, at the White House, the Veterans Administration, and the Department of Defense. We educate the public and members of Congress about the Uniformed Services and their most important asset, its people.
We monitor proposed legislation and we lobby and educate members of Congress and Pentagon officials on behalf of our members. We give voice to our membersâ€™ concerns about military pay, health care, pension and disability, survivor benefits, education, housing, child care, and other quality-of-life programs.
AMS supports a defense budget that will provide modern and sufficient equipment so that our military personnel can safely and effectively accomplish their mission. Further, we support increasing active duty, Guard and Reserve force sizes (end strength) to match mission.
AMS supports military pay and compensation policies to attain and maintain the personnel skills that will allow the United States to meet its strategic goals. This includes compensation, benefits, quality of life, and other instruments to recruit, retain, and support high-quality people. It also includes providing service members and their dependents high-quality, affordable health care. We support initiatives to:
- Sustain active duty, Guard and Reserve force sizes to meet mission requirements
- Sustain military pay comparability with private sector
- Protect currently serving and retiree benefits against significant degradation based on sequestration’s arbitrary cuts
- Credit all post-9/11 active duty service toward Guard/Reserve early retirement
- Restore tax deduction for reservists’ out-of-pocket expenses for military travel of 50 miles or more
- Create new incentives for employers to hire and retain drilling Guard/Reserve members
- Provide incentives for employers/government/contractors to hire military spouses
- Protect funding for commissary/exchange, dependent schools and family support programs
- Improve access to affordable child care
- Require better education on serious financial disadvantages of the REDUX retirement option
- Improve professional licensure transferability for servicemembers and military spouses